46 acres of Woods – 8.5 acres Open Land – Homesite
Fifty five acres contains approximately 46 acres of wood and 8.5 acres of open fields. This was an old farm at one time and needs some attention. The 1.5 acres in the front has been kept cut bit the other 6 acres needs to be cut and have some time spent on it but could surely be brought back to open pasture or crop fields. There is a long gravel drive coming from the state road to the secluded old home place. There are walnut trees and old white pines where the house used to be and could be cleaned up to be a beautiful site for a house. The remainder of the land is all wooded with a mixture of hardwoods and pines. There is evidence of deer and turkey making for some great hunting. Some old tobacco barns are on the property to could be torn down and the wood reused or they could make a cabin to stay in while hunting or just getting away for the weekend.
Goochland is very rich in history and was founded in 1728 as the first county formed from Henrico shire, followed by Chesterfield County in 1749. Goochland originally included all of the land from Tuckahoe Creek, on both sides of the James River, west as far as the Blue Ridge Mountains.
During the early part of 1781, Lord Cornwallis marched his sizable army through the boundaries of Goochland. They occupied and thoroughly destroyed Elkhill, a small estate of Thomas Jefferson, slaughtering the livestock for food, burning barns and fences, and finally burning down the house. Almost 100 years after Cornwallis marched his army through Goochland, the county was the site of another battle. By the year 1864, the young Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren was an officer. He had a plan to infiltrate central Virginia, break out nearly 12,000 Union prisoners on Belle Isle in Richmond, the Confederate capital, and destroy the city. On March 1, 1864, Dahlgren’s forces reached Sabot Hill, Dover, and Eastwood in eastern Goochland.
Charlottesville is just 35 minutes away home to University Of Virginia. The City of Charlottesville is located in west Central Virginia, approximately 100 miles southwest of Washington, D.C. and 70 miles northwest of Richmond, Virginia. Situated within the upper Piedmont Plateau, at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and at the headwaters of the Rivanna River, Charlottesville was established as a town in 1762 by the Virginia General Assembly, and was incorporated as an independent city in 1888.
Links in interest:
For an aerial view of the property and its surroundings please click the link below: https://mapright.com/ranching/maps/43d443f03f43d73b5a10352c17573145/share