Nice home site- all wooded- road frontage!
16.95 acres of wooded land with road frontage in beautiful Powhatan County. Property has road frontage, wet weather creek, all wooded with pine and hardwood mix and a survey. This property is located of RT 60 making it convenient to Richmond for a short drive to work or pleasure. There are beautiful farms stretching from one end of Blemhein Rd. to the other.
Powhatan County is included in the Greater Richmond Region.
The James River forms the county’s northern border, and the Appomattox River is on the south side. The county is named for the paramount chief of the powerful confederacy of tribes of Algonquian-speaking Native Americans in the Tidewater in 1607, when the British settled at Jamestown. Historically this Piedmont area had been occupied by the Siouan-speaking Monacan, who moved west under pressure from colonists. In 1700 French Huguenot refugees settled at their abandoned village, known as Manakin Town, which was located above the falls on the James River. In May 1777, the Virginia General Assembly created Powhatan County out of land from the eastern portion of Cumberland County between the Appomattox and James rivers. Residents named the county in honor of Chief Powhatan, paramount chief of the Powhatan Confederacy. He had allied with Algonquian-speaking tribes in the Tidewater, numbering about 30,000 in population at the time of the Jamestown settlement. He was also the father of Pocahontas, whom colonists perceived as friendly. While in captivity, she accepted Christianity and married English settler John Rolfe. Many of their descendants were counted among the First Families of Virginia.
For the first two years after the county was formed, Mosby Tavern served as the Powhatan County courthouse. When a new courthouse was built in 1778, the immediate area was named “Scottville” after General Charles Scott, a Revolutionary War soldier. He was later elected governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky after it was formed in 1792 as a separate state from land ceded by Virginia. The courthouse area was later named Powhatan.
During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the county became more developed with expansive plantations as the frontier moved west. Yeomen farmers moved further into the backcountry where land was more affordable. The larger planters used numerous African-American slaves to produce tobacco, and later mixed crops, including wheat. The county continued to be organized on an agricultural economy until after World War II. It still has rural areas and historic plantations, but is being developed with suburban residential housing and related retail.
For an aerial look at this property and its surroundings click on the link below: https://mapright.com/ranching/maps/3248ebc834a2ae06667062c36f398906/share
Link to Powhatan County: http://www.powhatanva.gov/
Discover Powhatan County: http://discoverpowhatan.com/